Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, July 21, 2008

Hawkeye is an ass, and bonus emo-Tony

One thing that always strikes me when reading Silver Age comics is how much Hawkeye amuses me. He'll never be one of my favorite characters, but there's rarely an issue that goes by where I don't end up shaking my head in amusement at one of his assholish remarks.

I think I actually prefer him to his DC counterpart, because even though Ollie can also be an ass, he's always got that enlightened liberal "I'm right/you're wrong" kind of assholishness. The noble asshole if you will. It can get a bit much (and I say that as someone who's fairly liberal myself.)

Clint doesn't need any high-falootin' reasons for his assholishness. He's just a clueless dick sometimes. I can appreciate that. So in celebration, I'm going to post one of my favorite Hawkeye is an asshole moments from Tales of Suspense 72:



I love this panel. It totally makes me snicker every time. I mean seriously. What an ASS. It's all "Oh come on, why aren't you over the fact that your sidekick blew up in front of you twenty years ago?"

I also love it though because Wanda actually tries to answer his question which is nice of her. But neither of these mental wunderkind actually seems to remember that thanks to that nifty iceberg, it wasn't actually twenty years ago to Cap. For Cap, it's been like, what? Three months? Gee, I wonder why he's not over it?

It's just so...shamelessly assholish. It reminds me of that Sweet Valley High book where the twins decide that a few months is much too long for their older brother to be grieving his dead girlfriend. And somehow his parents AGREE with this. They're only happy when he decides to repress it all and date some other girl. Yeesh. No wonder he ended up with that weird obsession about her stationary and all these other girls who just randomly look like the dead girlfriend!

Honestly!

Also, as a bonus for your amusement, from the same issue!



I love Tony's melodrama. Every issue of Tales of Suspense ends EXACTLY like that. Well, okay. Change up the angst. Sometimes it's "I wish I could return Pepper's feelings, but I could never trap her with a man at the brink of death!"

I'm crying silent tears on the inside, man.

6 Comments:

  • At July 21, 2008 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, to be a filthy rich technological genius with badass flying armor that gets to sleep with lots of beautiful women! The hardship must be unbearable!


    And I'm not normally a Clint-defender, but at least the man didn't say that directly TO Cap. I suspect Ollie would have.

     
  • At July 21, 2008 5:00 AM, Blogger Flidget Jerome said…

    Personally I love any and all images of Tony Stark plugging himself into mains electricty. There's just something so adorably goofy about that, it makes you wonder if he's got step-down adaptors for when they've got a mission in Europe or Asia.

     
  • At July 21, 2008 7:44 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I'd say I'm sure Tony has an adapter. But then given this is Tales of Suspense Tony, I can totally buy him going to Europe, trying to plug in, and almost dying in an emo-fit before weakly figuring out what to do.

    He's kind of like that. At least he won't have problems in Japan. :-)

     
  • At July 21, 2008 9:39 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Gosh, Tony, just get OVER yourself already! Talk about self-absorbed.

    Yes, I've always had a soft spot for Hawkeye. Possibly because he reminds me a little bit of Guy, although not QUITE that assholish.

     
  • At July 22, 2008 2:43 PM, Blogger Michael Fountain: Blood for Ink said…

    Hawkeye (and Wanda) fan here, though the only defense is that this is what happens when writers in a hurry use dialogue for exposition.

     
  • At July 22, 2008 2:50 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Heh, I like both characters too. :-) But I can't resist poking fun at them/their writers. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home