Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, July 14, 2008

I Was Wrong! (Beware of Spoilers)

Okay, a while back I expressed my doubts about the Get Smart movie.

Actually, I have to admit. I was totally wrong about this one. I saw the movie today and actually...it was really good.

(I shouldn't have to warn you that there will be some spoilers in this right?)

I figured, as a fan of the original series, that I wouldn't like it. But I really think it worked. (And Carrell's Adams voice is much better in the movie than it was in the trailers I'd seen.)

I think what made it work for me was the particular tone of the humor. It was very funny but it wasn't mean spirited, I think. I don't always mind mean humor, but it wouldn't have worked here.

I think the best example of the kind of humor of the movie was in one part of the movie in which Max and 99 are in Russia. 99 is dancing with a villain and Max ends up asking a fat girl to dance.

I have to admit, I cringed as soon as she appeared on the screen. I'd seen more than enough "comedies" to figure out where this was going. Especially given that the dance was the sort that involved lots of lifting. I knew I'd feel so bad for that poor girl by the end of it. And while, as I said, I don't mind vicious humor sometimes, I prefer it when it's targetting people who deserve it, not poor innocent folk who are only guilty of not fitting in to Hollywood's standards of beauty.

But the moment of humiliation never came. Even when, at the climax he lifts her over his head. I was expecting a "CRASH" or something else cruel and embarrassing. But it didn't happen! The most physical humor regarding her size was a bit of sweating and a mumbled "Thank you for jumping." The girl got to saunter out, head held high, and middle finger ready to the skinny little model types who'd mocked her.

And that's the thing really. There was a joke there, but the girl was a part of the joke, not the victim of it. They could have gone the traditional route and humiliated her, but instead set up a situation where you could imagine that she went home with a triumphant, happy memory to savor for the rest of her life. It was awesome!

Also, the skeeviness I expected to result from the twenty-year age difference between Carrell and Anne Hathaway wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. It helped that they gave her a throwaway line of actually being close to his age but looking younger with plastic surgery. I'd still have preferred casting an older woman, but it pretty much worked for me.

Alan Arkin and Terrance Stamp were awesome too, naturally. Brilliant casting all around.

I really didn't expect it to be very good. My mother and I picked it on a whim (the original plan was to see Hellboy. We'll still see that of course, just...later). But it really was hilarious.

I love being wrong about this sort of thing!

4 Comments:

  • At July 14, 2008 10:38 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    But WAS there a Cone of Silence?

     
  • At July 14, 2008 11:13 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    YES! <3 There TOTALLY WAS!!!

     
  • At July 16, 2008 8:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I saw it on saturday with the s/o and we loved it. Honestly? I kind of like Carell better than Don Adams. Originator props aside Adams Smart was well pretty much a complete imbecile. I much preferred Carell's version where he is talented in some things and clueless in others.

    And like you I was pleasently surprised by the dance scene. Although I had high hopes when it starts off with the two of them talking about losing weight. I thought it was nice, the idea of getting to be a filed agent being a fulfillment of a life long dream and I really loved that he had indeed earned it not that he was just the only one they could send.

    And as for Hathaway? Wonderful as 99 and let me put a little food for thought out there with just two words. Lois Lane. Am I wrong?

    Anyway a lot of fun. I loved who they cast Patrick Warburton as. I'm honestly looking forward to a sequel.

    Take
    It
    Easy

    Toriach

     
  • At July 16, 2008 9:01 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Well, I think she's got the same problem as Bosworth when it comes to Lois Lane. She'd be good, I think, in a complete reboot/year one kind of thing. But if it's another continuation, she's far too young.

    But it IS an interesting idea.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home