Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Preview!

They've got preview pages of Captain America: White up.

I have to say, it does look interesting but I'm a little disappointed. I think this version is probably closer to the original concept as originally envisioned in WWII. But I've really fallen for the Brubaker conception of their early partnership and I was really hoping we'd see something closer to that. I really like the way they're portrayed as fairly close in age and how the different life experiences, and Bucky's new role as scout/assassin/mess-cleaner plays with the original dynamic. (It's interesting how this version's Bucky, in some ways, seems older than Steve, for example.)

CA:W seems like fun, but a lot more traditional in interpretation. And I'm not terribly fond of Sale's art style in this. I think it suits the overall theme, but it's not really to my taste. Also, Bucky looks too...young Dick Grayson for me.

I'll still give it a try, because it's Cap and I love Cap, but I'm still a bit irrationally disappointed.

But on the plus side, Avengers/Invaders is flipping awesome and portrays more of the dynamic I like to see, so there's always an up-side. :-) (Which reminds me, I really need to blog about that at some point!)

2 Comments:

  • At July 08, 2008 11:14 PM, Blogger Jon said…

    See to me, this is what comics are made for. I love the traditional look (although anytime I see Sale's art "Heroes" now comes to mind...ugh!) and have always been happy with this creator team up on the Marvel "color" books. I loved the DC ones too, especially Superman: For All Seasons.

    So I am looking forward to this, even with my recent critiques on Loeb.

    And that cover is fantastic looking too.

    You and I will have to debate this one once the book ships....I am ready...

    Thanks for your post!

     
  • At July 09, 2008 7:41 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I'm not sure how much debating I can really do. :-) I can see why it'd appeal to folks. It's just not my cup of tea. :-)

    And a lot of my disappointment's irrational...I was expecting/hoping for something a bit different. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home