Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sherlock Holmes movie news?

Well, if this is true, that's mildly interesting. And befuddling.

On one hand, I've always thought, though it's never been borne out of the movies or television dramas I've seen, that Watson was indeed supposed to be the handsomer one of the two of them.

But I have to admit, Jude Law was not where I was thinking they'd go. I mean I get the logic for Robert Downey Jr., the same way I get the logic for him for Iron Man: genius, kind of self-centered, charming, and substance-abusing. But Jude Law?

He IS talented, but I don't know...

Then again, I never thought Russell Crowe was that bad an option. The man's aging well, and Watson was always more of a man of action, I thought. Still, at least between Downey and Law the movie will be pretty.

(I do like the comments on the community I linked, particularly the one about how sidekicks only belong in comics and B-Westerns. Yeesh, defensive much? :-) And I really don't think it matters which one of them is taller either. Heh.)

5 Comments:

  • At September 20, 2008 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This stupid thing keeps eating my comment...I was only saying that that people are showing their ignorance with the source work if they don't think Jude Law is a good pick. I would suggest to them reading "On the Significance of Boswells" by Loren D. Estleman, which appears in my edition of the complete works (Bantam) and argues that the other-media version of Watsons have tainted the original character Sir Arthur Conan Doyle created.

     
  • At September 20, 2008 2:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    That's interesting bookslide - because now that I think about it, my vision of Watson is primarily based on "The Great Mouse Detective" :P

     
  • At September 26, 2008 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I suppose that their choices are founded solidly in SOME way, but in under ten minutes, my friend and I came up with a better choice of cast ((opinions?))

    Christopher Eccleston ((Doctor Who fame, notwithstanding)) as Holmes, and Bob Hoskins as Watson. They're both brilliant actors, and would do the parts justice.

     
  • At October 03, 2008 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I do hope this turns out the right way, no matter WHO is playing Who. If the job is done right, then I will be at least contented. However, I would have preferred Sherlock Holmes to be Jeremy Brett, as his Sherlock Holmes shows were just awesome, but alas! :P I sure hope they make their Sherlock a bit more...handsome. I don't want to grimace every time I see him on screen.

     
  • At January 04, 2010 3:26 AM, Anonymous free movies said…

    Jude law is a cool British geek, and he was a very good and suitable pick, for my opinion. and the important thing of all, he is cute :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home