Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

A Quick Avengers Initiative Thought.

You know, I'm not a big Dan Slott fan. I'm not sure why, I think it's left-over irritation from (what I perceive as) the big turn toward mean-spiritedness that She-Hulk the comic did toward the end of his run. I've also never been particularly interested in the Great Lakes Defenders, to be truthful.

Though tangentially, it occurs to me, between the Detroit Justice League and the GLA, what IS it about this area that inspires all the joke superhero teams? Then again, I'm FROM Michigan and I'm not sure I can take a superhero actually working in Michigan seriously either. Unless he's here to protect us from one-another's incredibly bad driving. I'm not talking traffic jams like in California or NYC. We have enough room to drive anywhere. We just SUCK at it. Seriously.

However, he did have a not crazy*, not torturing-his-underlings Nick Fury in Avengers: Initiative last week! So I'm kind of forced to like him again.

(As a clarification I mean: "not crazy above and beyond the usual Nick Fury insanity way")

Though I admit, Nick's speech does ring a bit off to me. Admittedly, there are still many issues of Agent of SHIELD that I haven't gotten to yet, but I'd never really thought of Nick Fury as the speech making type. The "we were scared in WWII" speech seems much more like a Captain America speech to make instead of Nick Fury.

Fury always seemed more of a "give everyone high explosives and yell at them until they blow shit up" sort of leader to me. But that's a small complaint compared to the "torture-your-underlings" kind of leader. So I'll go with that. :-) Maybe he's channeling Steve. Or maybe he has a posse of secretly assassin trained nuns waiting in the wings to knock sense into the kid if his speech doesn't work.

(I have no basis for this. I just always thought Nick Fury ought to have a squad of secretly assassin-trained nuns. It's what I would have, if I ran SHIELD. They could rap ANYONE's knuckles.)

So yeah, right now, I'm kind of appreciating Dan Slott. At least until he starts being a dick to one of my friends online again. :-)

(On a tangent note: I'm totally starting to see what flidget_jerome sees in Jocasta. :-))

3 Comments:

  • At October 01, 2008 5:51 AM, Blogger Flidget Jerome said…

    I'm a still in a state of incoherent squee over Jocasta showing up again. And he's putting her in Avengers!

    . . . yeah, completely incapable of meaningful commentary right now.

    EEEE, SHINY METAL LADYBOT!

     
  • At October 01, 2008 7:40 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Keep in mind that Initiative is currently Slott AND Chris Gage. Though Slott's been about 50/50 for me. Didn't like his She-Hulk, like his Initiative. Don't care about Spider-Man, love Great White's Arkham story. Plus Slott & Nieceza co-wrote the awesomely funny Great Lakes Initiative/Deadpool comic...

    Jocasta is awesome and she and Nextwave Machine Man are going to be central characters in Marvel Zombies 3 by Van Lente...

     
  • At October 03, 2008 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    IIRC, Slott plots, and Gage scripts, though Gage takes over the Initiative full time with issue #21.

    And you don't have to call it "nextWave" Machine Man anymore, since Ivan Brandon did a fine job weaving the old Machine Man and the asshole in NextWave into one person in Marvel Comics Presents. Issues #8-12, check it out won't you?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home