Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, December 29, 2008

Babbling and a query

My mom, who is awesome and as supportive of my hobbies as anyone who is not inherently geeky in the same manner I am can be, keeps inviting me out to go see the Spirit.

I feel like a bad person because I know she's inviting me because she wants to show she loves me and share my hobby but there is no movie I want to see less than the Spirit.

I don't think she really wants to see it herself, or else she'd have already gone with dad, but it's still a lovely gesture. She doesn't understand my reluctance.

She's all: "But it's a comic book movie!"
I'm all: "Um, yeah, but honestly, I don't think I'll like it."
She's all: "But you like awful comic book movies!"

And I can't really argue with that. I actually liked both Fantastic Four movies after all. Still, I keep trying to explain my aversion in terms she'd understand:

"It's like seeing George Lucas trying to write a Star Trek movie." (Insert bad CGI obnoxious creatures, far-too-pleased-with-themselves-CGI, and the inexplicable inability to keep in mind the plot points in a grand total of three movies previous...and I say this as someone who LIKES Star Wars)

The next time the subject came up, I tried using an example closer to her own home turf:

"It's like reading Christine Feehan re-writing a Barbara Cartland novel."

I think she understood what I was getting at, but I do think in the end I'm probably going to end up in the theater seeing this movie that neither of us are particularly interested in anyway, on account of my mother being so lovably earnest and me having a guilty conscience.

Maybe I can distract her with a different movie. Is there anything good and/or entertaining out right now? Preferably something that doesn't involve Tom Cruise in an eyepatch....

5 Comments:

  • At December 29, 2008 7:46 AM, Blogger ARS said…

    Haven't seen it, but it got a good review in the local paper here. Seven Pounds with Will Smith. It is about a man seeking redemption for something. Apparently he is somehow devised a plan to aid seven strangers as part of his plan. I get the idea he is trying to do this secretly. Rosario Dawson (A Comic Geek) plays a woman that somehow messes his plan up when he begins falling in love with her.

    I want to see it really bad. Of course the is a new Underworld movie being released on Jan. 23rd. Good Luck!

     
  • At December 29, 2008 8:22 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    "Gran Turino", "Slumdog Millionaire", "The Wrestler", "Let the Right One In", "Doubt", "Milk"

     
  • At December 29, 2008 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bolt!

    I'm not even kidding.

     
  • At December 29, 2008 10:55 AM, Blogger K. D. Bryan said…

    I've also heard that "Slumdog Millionaire", "Bolt", "The Wrestler", "Gran Turino", "Milk" and "Let The Right One In" are supposed to be very good.

     
  • At December 29, 2008 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I saw "Slumdog Millionare" last night and it was very, very good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home