Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Something Odd that I've Noticed

You know, one weird side effect to my oft-chronicled love of awesomely wretched 90s television is that every so often one sees familiar names in the writing credits. For example, to my utter surprise, Howard Chaykin was the writer of a few of my favorite episodes of Earth: Final Conflict and the Sentinel.

This is particularly notable to me because I've never been a huge fan of Chaykin's comic book work. I found Collateral Damage and Hawkgirl disappointing, and much of the rest of his work is simply not to my taste.

But the man writes episodes that really work for me. I'm not sure what it is. Possibly it's just that his style works better in television format, to me. Failing that, it might just be that with life action actresses, there's no excuse for drawing extremely pronounced cameltoes and nipples. Though it possibly should be noted that quite a few of his episodes do provide an excuse for attractive women to be in their underwear for no real reason. :-)

4 Comments:

  • At December 03, 2008 5:45 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Check the credits for 80s era cartoons. I think J.M. Strazynski wrote like half of them...

     
  • At December 03, 2008 7:59 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Howard Chaykin is enormously gifted, and enormously capable of wretched work at the same time. I love quite a lot of his early work, lately...not so much. But it is always fun to spot the writers AND artists in the credits.

     
  • At December 04, 2008 6:43 AM, Blogger notintheface said…

    Didn't Chaykin also give us that X-Men knockoff "Mutant X"?

     
  • At December 06, 2008 7:52 PM, Blogger pla said…

    I was pretty pleased to realize that the two episodes of G.I. Joe that really bowled me over as a kid (the two-parter that, in retrospect, is very similar to Philip K. Dick's Time Out of Joint) were written by Steve Gerber.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home