Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hmm.

You know, I was all set to snicker a little about this poor fellow claiming to have been ripped off by a bad Adam Sandler movie. Not that it doesn't suck for the fellow if that really happened, but I do think that people often come up with parallel ideas and that an assassin turned hair dresser is one of those ideas that I suspect everyone comes up with sometimes.

It's the turning around of expectations really. A hair dresser, particularly a male hair dresser, is such an innocuous seeming profession (and well, there's the stereotype of sexual orientation involved too) that it's really fun to imagine a hair dresser also kicking ass. It's probably the same appeal as the supermodel-turned-assassin character.

Personally I always liked the accountant or engineer as ex-assassin notion better. Mostly because I'm a geek myself and it appeals to my power fantasies. And also it's less easy to resort to cheap sexual/homophobic stereotypes for a laugh. Besides, who didn't like seeing the Rock staple that guy's head in Get Smart?

That said, I don't know the details, so maybe there is enough to base a case on. I do know...the comic actually looks kind of entertaining. I might have to check it out.

5 Comments:

  • At February 25, 2009 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There's also Cohen the Barbarian's daughter in Terry Pratchett's novel Sourcery.

     
  • At February 25, 2009 8:26 AM, Blogger Jer said…

    I dunno. If I were the guy I don't think I'd want my work associated with "Zohan". I think I'd be more like "oh no - this doesn't have ANYTHING to do with that terrible Zohan movie, it's totally different".

    But then again, it got word around that his comic exists. So maybe the publicity will be worth the humiliation of having his stuff compared to "Zohan" in the end.

     
  • At February 25, 2009 8:42 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Account type as assassin would be about 30% of the back-plot for the Christian Slater show (My Own Worst Enemy) that didn't make it past last season...

     
  • At February 25, 2009 1:24 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said…

    The first thing I thought of was an old Monty Python's Flying Circus sketch -- the only that led into the original Lumberjack sketch/song. Michael Palin played a hairdresser with murderous tendencies, who had been told by his therapist to become a hairdresser in order to get over his fear of hair!

     
  • At February 25, 2009 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Bad Adam Sandler movie?" Aren't they all bad? Or was it bad even compared to other, merely bad Adam Sandler movies? ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home