Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

An Urge

Damnit. This is one of those days where I can't think of anything to blog. I'd just not post anything, but then that's what happened to my livejournal. :-)

I have a very strange urge to hunt down my disks with the King's Quest games on them. Because I love those sorts of games. Really any sort of adventure game of that ilk. I call them "MacGyver games" because it's the sort of thing where you end up using a fishing pole, rubber duck and a drugged pigeon* to get some key off a subway rail.

... I'm not making up the drugged pigeon thing. It was from a demo of some game I played about ten, fifteen years ago with a kid who went to spy camp or something like that. It was funny, because whenever he'd take anything that wasn't nailed down, he'd put it in his pockets. But these were crappy VGA graphics at the time, so it really looked like he just shoved them down his pants.

And there's a point in the game, where you use sedatives mixed with bread to drug a pigeon and pick it up. And he SHOVES IT IN HIS PANTS.

I always wished I'd convinced my dad to get that game.

I also suspect I like the games because they're a safe way to indulge closet kleptomaniacal tendancies. TAKE IT ALL!!! :-)

6 Comments:

  • At February 24, 2009 12:10 PM, Blogger Lady Alexia said…

    I am so stuck now seeing a guy stuffing pigeons down his pants. *giggles*

     
  • At February 24, 2009 6:03 PM, Blogger Evan Waters said…

    If you look around you can find a King's Quest collection that has all the old games plus Dosbox, so you can play them on Windows (or on a Mac if you use Darwine to run the installer.) They've done the same for the Police Quest and Space Quest series as well.

     
  • At February 24, 2009 10:40 PM, Blogger Duskdog said…

    I love those old Sierra games. AGD Interactive recently redid Quest for Glory II, my favorite game of all time, so that it has an updated graphics and interface similar to Quest for Glory III and King's Quest V. You can download it for free, too.

    I remember buying a little DOS adventure game from the bargain bin at Media Play a long time ago, and being stuck on this one part because I couldn't figure out how to keep the volcano from erupting and ending the game. Finally, as a last-ditch effort, I tried throwing everything in my inventory into the volcano trying to figure out what would work, and it turns out that all I had to do was appease the volcano god by throwing in a helpless little girl that I had rescued earlier in the game.

    Even after all these years and all the crazy games I've played since, I'm still a little bit shocked.

     
  • At February 25, 2009 2:36 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    You should track down the Discworld game. I swear EVERY single puzzle in it is based on near random collections of objects. I defy anyone to actually beat it without using a walk-thru...

     
  • At February 25, 2009 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "it turns out that all I had to do was appease the volcano god by throwing in a helpless little girl that I had rescued earlier in the game."

    And people complain about Grand Theft Auto?

     
  • At February 25, 2009 4:44 PM, Blogger Ferrous Buller said…

    Because I can never resist the impulse to throw out this oldie-but-goodie (especially given Lurker's comment about Discworld): Death of Adventure Games

     

Post a Comment

<< Home