Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, April 24, 2009

This looks interesting

I have to admit this looks fairly neat. Actually, and I may have to turn in some geek points for saying this, I've never read the original story and I didn't much like Bladerunner. But the comic still looks pretty neat.

To be fair, I only watched Bladerunner once and I'm not sure which cut it was. I know there were a lot of unicorns at least. I always sympathized with the replicants and thought Harrison Ford was a dick. That's all I really remember from it. I totally wanted the lead replicant to win. Also, I remember thinking the girl (Rachel?) was a waste of space. Though granted, this was during my misogynistic teen years where I didn't much care for almost ANY female character.

I'm not proud of that time, but I won't deny it existed.

I've also never been sure of the real advantage to a four-year lifespan for replicants. I mean, okay, theoretically it should limit their ability to revolt. But it doesn't really. You can still wreak a lot of chaos in that time, especially if you're programmed for combat. It seems like giving them such an obvious reason to be disgruntled is a bad idea.

Not to mention all the material waste. Even assuming that you don't have to train them for their jobs, it's still annoying to have to replace your appliances every few years.

And there's a simple solution to the problem of developing independent emotions: Stockholm Syndrome.

(There are times I suspect that in an alternate universe, I am a supervillain.)

Anyway, if I remember that the comic comes out, I'll probably pick it up. It seems interesting. :-)

3 Comments:

  • At April 24, 2009 3:30 PM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Harrison Ford's character WAS a replicant. At least according to Ridley Scott...

     
  • At April 24, 2009 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ehhh, I dunno. With the art, so much of the "he said/she said" is redundant (ex: "her eyes still shut"--yes yes, we can see that).

     
  • At April 27, 2009 12:49 AM, Blogger Diabolu Frank said…

    I flip-flop on this all the time. I read the Marvel adaptation in 1989, and liked it better than the movie at first blush. Then I read the Dick book in the early '90s, and preferred it to the movie & comic. Then when I reread the book last year and rewatched the movie, my preferences flipped. However, I remember liking the theatrical release over the director's cut because I liked the narration, but the version I saw recently ran without. Also, I haven't read the comic in twenty years.

    All I know for sure at this point in my life is that every single one of them is overrated... except maybe the comic. Damn it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home