Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, May 18, 2009

Yeeeeeesssssss

I saw it. It was awesome. Totally. Here are some mildly - spoilery thoughts:

1. Chris Pine would make an awesome Hal Jordan. I knew it as soon as he whammed his head on the doorway early on.

2. Zachary Quinto had the hardest job I think. Everyone else could get away with slight deviations in their take on the characters but Leonard Nimoy's RIGHT THERE. Totally nailed it though. Awesomely.

3. I was most nervous about Urban as McCoy because he's most recognizable to me and also too good-looking to be McCoy really. But he was great too and I forgot he was Karl Urban after a bit.

I think he learned from the Guy Gardner school of dealing with the fact that you're a handsome guy: make lots of faces and bitch until we forget.

4. Uhura, Scotty, Chekov, Sulu...all awesome.

5. I might have squealed when the Enterprise appeared on screen.

6. I like Winona Ryder, but she's an odd choice for Spock's mom. Especially since they didn't bother to age her up that much. Also, aren't Vulcans supposed to develop slower? I always figured Spock was a few decades older than Kirk, but this one has to be close to the same age if his mom is that young. So is he like the half-Vulcan equivalent of Chekov?

If so, I can accept that.

7. Chekov made me feel so damn old. Jesus. I wanted to ruffle his hair and feed him. And whack the scriptwriters for giving him so many v-words. Or just buy him a thesaurus.

8. Old Spock. <3

9. I liked that they didn't gloss over Kirk's bad points too. I thought the whole emotionally compromising bridge scene was ugly. Necessary, but so ugly. I liked that no one looked happy about that whole thing.

10. Spock was my first crush. I am very happy with this movie. <3

11. They made Christopher Pike into a total badass. I approve.

12. Everyone told me about the "Live Long and Prosper" = "Fuck off and die" thing. It did not disappoint.

13. The collapsible katana was awesome, but wouldn't a phaser be more useful?

14. I loved that what's his name on the drill was in red. My dad and I couldn't stop snickering.

15. I had my doubts going in about the Spock and Uhura stuff, but it really worked for me. Aw.

16. As did the Kirk and Spock stuff.

17. Little Kirk and the car made my dad laugh very hard. I laughed harder during the bar fight.

18. Hopefully someone will find it "logical" to make sure Kirk actually learns hand-to-hand combat. He loses every fight he's in!

19. "I married her because I loved her," might have actually made me cry a little. Shut up.

20. Spoooock. <3

16 Comments:

  • At May 18, 2009 1:57 AM, Blogger Diabolu Frank said…

    My review.The short version: I mostly agreed, except I didn't like Quinto and Urban, and it was pretty friggin' dumb.

     
  • At May 18, 2009 2:02 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Even the best Trek movies are a little dumb. :-)

    We'll have to agree to disagree on Quinto and Urban though. For me, they (especially ZQ) were the best of the movie. :-)

     
  • At May 18, 2009 2:38 AM, Blogger tavella said…

    Someone suggested Chris Pine would make a good Steve Rogers, and I have to say, it's about the first suggestion that I could see working. Just about everything else has been either "would have been great... 10 or 15 years ago" or a wrestler. He's got something of the sunny good looks and classic features, is young, tall enough to look decent once bulked up, and has good acting chops.

     
  • At May 18, 2009 6:20 AM, Anonymous Susan (aka Legible Susan) said…

    12. Yes, yes, yes! Or as the people I saw it with put it, "Procreate and expire". I wasn't spoilered on that scene, and I was (silently) translating: "Take your scholarship and shove it, you racist bastards"!

    The plot was even more stupid, once I stopped to think about it, than anticipated ... but who cares? (Second thoughts: I do care when Spock's flying away from Earth - blindly following orders? - just so that Kirk can be right and Spock wrong. He's so brilliant, doesn't he have any tactical nous? <-- young!Spock fangirl)

     
  • At May 18, 2009 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A katana? I thought Sulu was a fencer! Oh boy!

     
  • At May 18, 2009 7:06 AM, Blogger Saranga said…

    That was Winona Ryder? Man I didn't notice that at all.

    Hehe. They still listen to the Beasties in the future.

     
  • At May 18, 2009 7:27 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Susan: To be fair, he was "emotionally compromised." He probably would have acted differently if his planet/mom/mentor weren't all gone in a flash. :-)

    Anonymous: Heh. Well, maybe in the future, "fencing" is cross-discipline.

     
  • At May 18, 2009 8:23 AM, Blogger jhota said…

    Trek kicked ass. i love all the complaints that it made no sense; the next time i see a Trek movie or tv episode that makes sense will be the first time.

     
  • At May 18, 2009 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're right: Chris would totally make a good Hal. I'd like to see that, now that they're reportedly going to make a Green Lantern movie.

     
  • At May 18, 2009 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, in any case, if anyone's not satisfied with the movie, they can always watch this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-WA90u0f0Y

    It's absolutely fabulous.

     
  • At May 18, 2009 4:56 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I'm so glad that you liked it. I thought that it was awesome!

     
  • At May 19, 2009 2:22 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Branagh cast the actor who played George Kirk as Thor...

     
  • At May 25, 2009 10:39 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    I just saw this with Future Mrs. Notintheface this weekend and loved it.

    I had one question: Considering Nero's background, how come he never used a cloaking device?

     
  • At May 25, 2009 10:42 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Because he's crazy?

     
  • At May 26, 2009 2:06 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Daddy Kirk blew it up with his suicide run?

     
  • At May 26, 2009 11:40 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    I'll accept either one of those.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home