Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Anticipation!

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before, but the more I see purists complain about the new Sherlock Holmes movie (with RDJ and Jude Law), the more I really can't wait to see it.

I really fail to see how Sherlock Holmes (and Watson!) + Explosions is a bad thing.

Also, I'm glad to see someone finally remembered that Watson is both a) incredibly competent and b) hot. (And while Jude Law is not normally my type, there's something about the guy in a Victorian mustache and hat that works for me.)

And yes, Arthur Conan Doyle IS probably rolling about in his grave. But considering the man had serious issues with being remembered for Holmes as opposed to any of his scholarly work, I'm not sure he'd consider this any worse than the other movies.

I don't know whether I think it will be good, I do know I think it will be entertaining.

4 Comments:

  • At December 23, 2009 1:46 PM, Blogger Your Obedient Serpent said…

    Anyone who objects to the portrayal of Holmes as the kind abrasive, condescending, substance-abusing genius ASSHOLE that Mr. Downey so excels at playing is no "purist".

     
  • At December 23, 2009 4:47 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I am so looking forward to this. And I say that as a Jeremy Brett fan.

     
  • At December 24, 2009 3:15 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    YOS: :-) True that. I'm still thrilled at awesomely competent action!Watson.

    It's hard to watch most movies as a Watson fan. Just because a man's not a deductive genius doesn't make him stupid.

    And without the Watson character we wouldn't get to appreciate Holmes anyway!

    SallyP: :-)

     
  • At December 24, 2009 1:11 PM, Blogger Marshall Ryan Maresca said…

    I think anyone who would object to this particular version of Watson and Holmes has never actually, you know, read the books. Because Book Holmes (especially in the early stories) is abrasive, condescending and substance abusing. And just plain weird. Study In Scarlett is full of Watson living with the guy and just being baffled with how WEIRD he is. And Watson? Competent, ass-kicking, and a total player. After re-reading the early stories, I'm rather of the opinion that this movie looks like a far more accurate presentation of Holmes & Watson than any Deerstalker Cap & Bumbling Mustache version that is considered iconic.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home