Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, January 18, 2010

Belated Responses to Green Lantern movie news/rumors

I have no idea who Blake Lively is, but I'm kind of sad that one of the best mid thirties/forties DC heroines is being played by someone so young. But I suppose that's Hollywood for you. I just hope the girl can pull off something appropriately bitchy. :-) She might look more appropriate with a good dye job. Or it could be Kate Bosworth all over again. At least I can bitch about it.

I've also heard a rumor they're going with Emerald Dawn as an origin story. I'm hoping that's not true, because well, it never really appealed to me. Hal's got more than enough flaws without adding more. Though I might enjoy if they shoved in a Guy Gardner-as-social-worker cameo. But well, I'll live if the movie's good. :-)

It could be pretty interesting.

5 Comments:

  • At January 19, 2010 3:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is very interesting for me to read the article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

     
  • At January 19, 2010 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i liked Blake Lively's performance in the one film i've seen her in ("Accepted"), but she is so amazingly far from my ideal casting for Carol Ferris.

    but i've lost hope that DC will do a good comic film that's not an animated straight-to-video production.

     
  • At January 19, 2010 8:46 AM, Blogger Jer said…

    I'm annoyed mostly because there's a 10 year age difference between Hal (Ryan Reynolds) and Carol. There should definitely be a maturity gap between these two characters - but it works in the other direction and is more of a "they're both the same age but Hal hasn't grown up yet".

    I actually think they pegged Hal almost perfectly by casting Ryan Reynolds - I'm sure he can do it if the script is any good. But they're kind of missing what I see as an important part of the relationship by making the age difference that large (and if they think that Ryan Reynolds can pull off "20-something" they're wrong - he's a good looking guy, but he's clearly a good looking 30-something guy these days. If they wanted to do a 20-something movie they should have casted Jordan younger, not Carol).

     
  • At January 19, 2010 9:13 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I definitely don't disagree, Jer. But sometimes changing the dynamics can make for an interesting product.

    I think a good example for me is in the X-Men movies (well, except the 3rd.) A lot of elements of the Scott/Jean relationship (and Scott/Jean/Logan triangle) played out a bit differently with a Jean that was approx. ten years older than her fiance. (Like Ryan Reynolds, Famke Janssen was definitely not passing for twenties)

    Sadly, this way, they went with a more conventional route. But it could be salvageable. I'm not willing to write it off yet. :-)

     
  • At January 19, 2010 1:59 PM, Blogger Maddy said…

    I'm a little bugged they didn't go for someone older, but I did see Lively in the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants movies (don't laugh!) and IIRC she was a decent actress.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home