Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, February 01, 2010

Miscellaneous Book Type Babbling/Site Recommendations

Okay, I was going to post something about my take on the whole Scott/Jean/Logan triangle (and why Logan is not the "dangerous" option), but I got distracted by one of my many many pointless and non-productive hobbies. Reading romance novel reviews.

I don't actually LIKE most romance novels, but I find the reviews fascinating. It's interesting to see what actual readers think of the various tropes and themes. And watch them tear apart the horrible ones.

Much rarer, they'll mention one that actually...sounds really entertaining.

Like this review of Zombie Jack.

I mean, yeah, Zombies are kind of overused now. But apparently, this book involves a zombie as a romance novel hero. Who also ends up a male stripper. To "Monster Mash" of course. Apparently his arm keeps falling off. That sounds AWESOME.

Apparently the female lead is weak, but for that concept I'm tempted to wing it. I'm gonna have to track this ebook down.

-

On a tangential note, I've seen at least two of my friends recently talk about how awful Legend of the Seeker is. And while I don't care for the shows. I am amused, because the books...are AWFUL.

This site dissects them so much better than I could (I only got through the first book and half of the second.) The best part is, everything in bullet points HAPPENS. And the site provides the links to quotes and citations.

It's kind of brilliant and I recommend it as a way to kill an afternoon or so.

2 Comments:

  • At February 01, 2010 9:32 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    I catch the show late on Sundays when nothing is really on. Not great but a million times better than the books. I think I got up to four or so in that series before I gave up...

     
  • At February 01, 2010 2:53 PM, Blogger nika! said…

    That has to be the most amazingly awesome hobby ever. Congrats, and yeah, I think I'd be willing to read that just to say I had.

    And YES! A friend of mine (who love those books by the way) tried to sit down and watch Legend of the Seeker and uh. just uhhhgggg. I got through even less of the books than you did (the first one which i actually didn't think was THAT bad, gruesome castration and male-rape aside...and like 20 pages of the second one...) IT'S A TERRIBLE SHOW.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home