Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Puzzled musings about Under the Hood.

Wait, so they're really doing Under the Hood?

Wouldn't it be better to, you know, do the story he died in first? Or maybe a Lonely Place of Dying? (Tangentially: I always actually thought that would be an interesting introduction to the whole Batman mythos. Since, like Tim Drake, the audience already KNOWS who Batman and Robin are, but aren't really used to the idea of Robins being mortal. So by starting it there, we'd get a view of the characters from a completely different direction. But I get that the notion probably would bore other people. I just like using the different perspectives characters have regarding other characters.)

It's not really like if Marvel wanted to animate the Winter Soldier arc, since most people familiar with Captain America know that Bucky Barnes is/was dead. There are a lot of people who are fans of non-comic Batman who don't even know that there WAS a dead Robin. Won't that lose some of the impact?

I mean, I actually liked "Return of the Joker" a lot, but the point of that was more of a "Whatever happened to the Joker/Robin?" "Under the Hood" seems like it requires more familiarity/fondness to the character (Batman Beyond had the previous animated series to work on, after all) or at least an emotional connection to his death.

It's a weird idea to me to do a "This changes EVERYTHING" type story, when you haven't established the status quo. At best, you'll have like an old Golden or Silver Age oneshot: Robin dies tonight! "Oh no, Robin's dead!" "Oh wait, he isn't!" Fun, but not really with any sort of emotional impact.

Unless I'm wrong and they DID the death story already and I just missed it. (Always a possibility. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm sure the movie will be decent, but it still seems like a weird choice.

5 Comments:

  • At February 21, 2010 8:35 PM, Blogger Carl Walker said…

    I guess we have to conclude, then, that they're simply not making these things for people who aren't already fans to a certain degree? Seems likely, and of course a bit unfortunate.

     
  • At February 21, 2010 11:33 PM, Blogger Bookwormwithanattitude said…

    The screen shots have showed they do the full thing with Joker beating him to death...and blowing him up. They have models for 12 and 16yr old jason, so I assume they're going to do the full story,and not just a flashback. So it's both stories together. It'll be interesting to see how they do it.

    whatever it is, I'm mostly just happy for the jason fans. They're crazy excited on my flist.

     
  • At February 22, 2010 12:38 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    :-) I can't blame 'em. If one of my favorites got a movie, I'd be over the moon. :-)

     
  • At February 22, 2010 6:07 AM, Blogger James Ashelford said…

    What makes me wonder is how they're going to factor in explanation of Jason's return to life.

    Given the morass that is rights the character's rights and the fact its a whole other mythos to explain, I doubt Superboy SMASH! will be included as the reason for it all. (Unless there was something else that I forget).

    Also, that swipe the article makes at Tahmoh Penikett was just cruel. (Much as I hate this weird modern animation style).

     
  • At February 24, 2010 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1) That joke about Tahmoh Penikett was funny. It does not distract from his attractiveness that he has sharp features If your skull counts as a feature.

    2) That's weird.

    3) It's extra weird because all the adaptations have been lame, whereas the "based ons" have been slightly better, in my opinion.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home