Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, May 29, 2010

I FINALLY saw it!

A good month late, I finally got myself to see Iron Man 2.

And it was pretty awesome. I particularly liked the Black Widow. And even Vanko, who I thought looked utterly ridiculous in the preview images. But in the actual movie, I liked him a lot. I'm not really familiar with the ins and outs of Iron Man comics, so I never actually encountered the character. I liked the whole looks-like-thug-but-is-really-a-genius thing.

I did spend most of it trying to figure out why the guy playing Justin Hammer was so familiar.

My dad missed the obligatory Stan Lee sighting, which my mom teased him about endlessly.

Pepper was less interesting to me this time around. Possibly because I didn't think the movie really gave her a cool CEO moment. I mean, she got to be competent, which was good, but I was expecting a bit more.

My only complaint was that the movie seemed awfully busy. There was so much going on. It worked fine here, but if they introduce MORE elements in Iron Man 3, it could end up being the mess that Spider-Man 3 was.

But yeah. I liked it. It was pretty awesome. :-)

7 Comments:

  • At May 30, 2010 11:56 AM, Blogger Seangreyson said…

    I don't know. I liked Black Widow's one action sequence (which was obviously a stunt woman), but I found Scarlett Johansen to be blah. She was on the screen, and she was very pretty, but that was about it.

    I liked most of the rest of the movie though. So maybe I'm just being nit-picky.

     
  • At May 30, 2010 4:43 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I thought she was supposed to be blah. She's a spy after all, and thus, except for the scene with Nick Fury is TRYING to be less remarkable.

    It's possible that I'll still find her blah in the sequel or Avengers, but for this movie, I thought it worked.

     
  • At May 31, 2010 4:33 PM, Blogger Seangreyson said…

    A reasonable point. I guess I just hoped for a little more. Hopefully in the next movie we'll get it. :)

     
  • At May 31, 2010 4:46 PM, Blogger Jer said…

    We also finally saw Iron Man 2 just this weekend. My wife loved Black Widow - mostly for the scene where she casually kicks the ass of a dozen guys in the same time that Happy Hogan takes to take out one of them.

    As for it being too busy - yeah, it was. It was a fun movie, but they were shoe-horning stuff for the upcoming Avengers movie into it. You can almost see the seems where the script had been written and someone insisted that Avengers stuff be worked into Nick Fury's parts to tease the upcoming movies. The movie was fun, but not as rock solid as the first one was.

    I forgive it all for the scene where Tony Stark builds a supercollider in his basement, though. "Tony Stark as Narcissistic Mad Scientist" is pretty much the best characterization for Tony Stark there is, IMHO. I'm wondering if they're going to shift the creation of Ultron off of Hank Pym and onto Tony Stark, because really given the way the movies have gone it would fit (and his damn helmet looks so much like Ultron I can't believe they're not planning it).

     
  • At May 31, 2010 4:47 PM, Blogger Jer said…

    Argh. Stupid laziness and spell check. That should be "see the seams". Grumble, grumble...

     
  • At June 03, 2010 11:09 PM, Blogger Ununnilium said…

    Just saw it today!

    I've heard the "too busy" criticism elsewhere, and honestly, I don't see it. I thought all the elements fit into the plot; almost everything there contributed.

    My only big annoyance was the whole "map of the expo = atom of new element" thing. Would Howard Stark really have hidden it in a structure he didn't even know was going to survive the next 35 years when he could've just put it in the trunk with all the other information?

     
  • At June 13, 2010 5:59 PM, Blogger Eyz said…

    Hello there! I've finally decided to "follow" your blog, after checkin' it for so many months! :P

    I gotta agree with most of your points there!
    Whipsplash was pretty cool in the movie itself. I was kinda afraid at first, from the pics floating around the web, but it worked nicely in the movie.
    Poor Pepper... She was kinda lost in the movie though...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home