Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Ooo.

Okay, you know. I have to admit to having some doubts about the whole casting Chris Evans as Captain America thing. It's not that I ever thought he'd be a BAD choice, but he isn't one that came to mind for me at all when I was thinking about who I would have cast. (Unlike say, Robert Downey, Jr. as Iron Man. Or even Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull. I admit I didn't think of the latter either, but I really should have because that shit is awesome, man.)

But this Entertainment Weekly cover (which I totally swiped from Newsarama) is pretty awesome.

cap-movie-ew-225x300

I mean, sure, it doesn't say much about how he'll look in the actual movie (there are candids roaming around, I think, but then I don't put much stock in those either because they always look kind of ridiculous to me. I get too distracted by the cognitive dissonance of silly movie costume/setups and real life to be able to make a good determination) but as just an image, it looks PERFECT to me.

It's the perfect mix of cheesiness and an odd sort of dignity. He looks grave and earnest and just a little silly without crossing over to fake ears or inflatable muscles. And more over, something that's important to me (though it may annoy other fans, I suppose) is that he looks YOUNG. Captain America, especially WWII Cap, SHOULD look young in my opinion. He should look a little strange barking orders at Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man, (one commenter at Newsarama points it out as a detriment, but I think it's an advantage), because it emphasizes that Steve Rogers is what makes Captain America such a powerful figure. The serum is just a mechanism.

So, yeah. I've always thought he could do the personality well enough, but I wasn't really sold on the look. Now...I'm pretty sold. Awesome.

4 Comments:

  • At November 02, 2010 5:39 PM, Blogger Your Obedient Serpent said…

    I've heard some people question whether or not the costume works, but in all the doubt and nay-saying, thus far, not a single person has groused because Evans isn't blond.

    That kind of "egregious disregard" of a character's visuals usally triggers endless waves of Nerd Rage, but Evans appears to have nailed the Steve Rogers Presence well enough that nobody's quibbling over the details.

     
  • At November 02, 2010 5:57 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    My...that IS a nice picture! And I agree with you on the young part. He's a man out of time, and that should be emphasized.

     
  • At November 08, 2010 12:33 AM, Blogger LissBirds said…

    Being a DC-reader, I know very little about Captain America, but I am somewhat interested in the movie. Going in knowing next-to-nothing is a blessing (I'll be less critical), I think, so I'm intentionally not reading up on Captain America.

    Would you believe the verification word is "ecoil?!"

     
  • At November 08, 2010 12:51 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Heh, the advantage to being a Captain America fan is that we already HAD the single worst movie adaptation known to man.

    If this is even just mediocre, a.la the Fantastic Four movies? It's a step in the right direction. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home