Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Why?

Okay, am I the only one that finds it somewhat pretentious that the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics has "seasons"?

It's not like the comic has to correspond with tv show scheduling. You can be a lot more creative with pacing.

I dunno, I guess it just kind of says to me "Look! Look! We were once a hit tv show!!!" and it doesn't seem organic to comics, you know?

That said, this is not a reflection of the quality of the comics. It's just something that seems weird.

(Hey, did anything come out of Buffy's whole lesbian storyline? I admit I was a bit interested in seeing how that turned out, but not enough to actually remember to look it up.)

2 Comments:

  • At January 21, 2011 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It doesn't bother me because that was the format of the show for seven years and it gives a sense of time to it. I don't see it as any different as the Year One and Year Two Batman/DC comics.

    Um, if I remember correctly, nothing really came of it. It was like, she was happy that someone cared for her, but it wasn't her thing, and she knew it, so she extracted herself from the situation as best she could. I got the most recent trade for Christmas, but I haven't had a chance to go back and reread the way I wanted to. Sooon.

    Angel's been a bit better with the gasp-moments, though.

     
  • At January 21, 2011 1:38 PM, Blogger ShellyS said…

    I think Joss Whedon made it clear when the comic, and the Angel comic, were started, that they were continuations of the series. Of course, the just concluded "season" took much longer than it should have taken and I got bored halfway through and stopped reading. I liked Angel's first comic season, but stopped reading. Much as I thought they did a good job with both books, they work better for me as live action.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home