Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Recs wanted?

You know what character I wish I liked more? Aquaman. It's not that I don't like him, or that I think I should like him but he leaves me cold (see: Martian Manhunter), it's just that as much as I like him in crossover adventures and JLA type things, I've never gotten around to reading enough of his own series.

Except for that time he pwned Neptune Perkins. But that's just because I hate me some Neptune Perkins.

With the good news about a new ongoing, I realize that I really should take the time to dive in (stupid pun intended) to Aquaman's adventures. Does anyone have any particular recommendations on a good place to start? Some really must-read storylines? I'm a blank slate here.

6 Comments:

  • At March 27, 2011 11:44 PM, Blogger ARS said…

    I did what you are thinking about with the whole Sub Deigo story and Wil Pfieffer (I think he was the writer). I was liking it and then DC just up and switched things up and before you know it I dropped the book. It does give us the Lorena Origin.

    I am hit and miss, but if I were to find a package of consecutive Peter David's run I would probably pick it up. I am like you, I want to read Aquaman for some reason, but just don't really follow through.

     
  • At March 28, 2011 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I second Sub Diego. That was an awesome version of Aquaman and a perfect setting for him. I wish they had kept it.

    Grant Morrison's run on JLA would be my next rec - his Aquaman is second only to Batman as a badass and a charismatic.

    Finally, if you haven't read the Paul Dini/Alex Ross giant-sized Justice League books, you should. Aquaman catches a harpoon out of the air in his first appearance, and that's only the beginning.

     
  • At March 28, 2011 2:20 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    Morrison's JLA, the Peter David (the guy who WROTE the Neptune pwnage) run, and Sub Diego were excellent Aquaman periods.

    Another recommended place would be the Dan Jurgens/Steve Epting run, which was in the same volume as the David run, but about a year or so after PAD left. (The Erik Larsen run in between was awful, BTW.) Like PAD and Morrison, Jurgens actually used Arthur's kingship to its full potential.

     
  • At March 28, 2011 9:53 PM, Anonymous Stephen said…

    It was out of continuity almost immediately, but I thought the '89 Giffen mini was pretty good.

     
  • At March 29, 2011 8:51 AM, Blogger notintheface said…

    Forgotabout that one. I loved the art by Curt Swan and Al Vey. The issue where Arthur fought Mera was some of Swan's best work.


    Also, the early-mid 70's Adventure Comics stories because, well, Jim Aparo and Mike Grell.

     
  • At April 02, 2011 6:36 PM, Blogger Saranga said…

    I love the sub diego storyline, so third those reccs.

    I think there are only 2 Aquaman trades available - Time and Tide (by peter david) and the waterbearer ( i really like this one).

    alternatively, just go read up on the aquaman shrine blog - http://www.aquamanshrine.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home