Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, May 08, 2011

I Am Woman, Hear Me Meander

You know what bothers me? When a female comic fan can't admit to BEING a female comic fan, or you know find some humor in being a female comic fan without someone going on about her pandering to a fanbase or something.

I mean, say a female blogger DARES to title her blog "Has Boobs. Reads Comics." Both statements are undeniably true. (Well, I suppose not UNDENIABLY. This IS the internet after all. But I'm willing to take her word for it.) But somehow this is something to scorn.

It reminds me of one time, a couple of years ago, I saw this (FEMALE!) commenter attack a friend of mine for using an attractive picture of herself as her userimage on her blog. Apparently it was trying to get attention. It was a PICTURE OF HERSELF.

I'm not unbiased here. Look my blog. It's a bright garish pink. I don't even LIKE the color pink most of the time. I chose this color because it was eye-searing. But I also chose it because pink is a traditionally feminine color, and this was the most obnoxious version of that color I've ever seen.

I also use a feminine screenname and my twitter uses an actual picture of me too.

I don't do this to get attention from male geeks (at least beyond the "hey, this person is smart/funny!" type attention which totally feeds my ego. I don't do this because I've had bad experience with male geeks in the past and want to thumb my nose at them.

Of course, if I WAS doing it for attention or to make a point, that'd be my business. I don't MAKE you come here and read this crap.

I'm a woman. I read comics. I talk about these facts. I joke about these facts. I'm not going to pretend otherwise. And if you don't like that, fine. You're an idiot.

Have a nice day! :-)

5 Comments:

  • At May 09, 2011 2:32 AM, Anonymous Matt said…

    the name of your blog is pretty garish and feminine too ;)

     
  • At May 09, 2011 3:03 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    How dare you sir! There is NOTHING feminine about "Pretty Fizzy Paradise"

    Fizzy is a totally macho adjective!

     
  • At May 09, 2011 4:35 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Heh. You read the same article that I read. And I concur completely. But seriously, "Pretty Fizzy Paradise" is the BEST NAME EVER!

    Even if it IS pink.

     
  • At May 09, 2011 5:35 PM, Blogger ARS said…

    I always wondered why you picked the eye searing color. I thought maybe you liked pink, it is cool knowing it was because it IS eye searing. *grins* Great rant. I have been following you for a number of years now through all the changes I have had to make because I am a Minister and love comics. You are smart and pretty much like a bunch of the same type geeky, sci-fi stuff as I. I mean the whole discussion one time about TV Shows like The Sentinel and Seven Days was something I enjoyed. You always can bring up cool stuff like that for reading material. Please stay around.

     
  • At May 12, 2011 2:07 PM, Blogger Jazz said…

    Hi there!

    I was wondering if you are interested in contributing a film review or article on any superhero/graphic novel film for a site I am launching?

    If so email me at info@justicebulletin.com and I will fill you in on the details!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home