Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, May 30, 2011

Dumb Question:

Am I the only one who thinks it's awful that there's never (to my knowledge) been a Power Girl Barbie Doll?

I mean, there's been other superhero Barbies of course. Various versions of Wonder Woman, Batgirl and the like (of which I approve!), Superman Returns Lois Lane who basically was a dark haired Barbie in an indistinct dress, Black Canary and so on and so forth.

Heck, there was even Halle Berry's Catwoman, and that was a travesty in a bad S&M costume!

So why no Power Girl? She's cute, blond, most of her costumes are attractive, and her breasts are her most famous feature anyway.

I would totally buy a Power Girl doll, especially if it had the boob window. (I've always liked the boob window. I'd take a hundred boob windows before one more bared midriff costume! Yeesh!)

7 Comments:

  • At May 31, 2011 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can see why parents wouldn't approve and why that makes them big hypocrites, but mostly, I just think there isn't a market for it, except among girl geeks, and we all know how seriously our demographic is taken.

    A small boob window would be okay with me too.

    Don't forget, Superman Returns Lois Lane had the cool eyes of the actress--which are the same as my daughter, so she finally got a Barbie with brown hair and dichromatic eyes--just like her!

     
  • At May 31, 2011 4:20 PM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    No Barbie line toy, but there was an Infinite Crisis Power Girl toy...

     
  • At May 31, 2011 10:58 PM, Anonymous D said…

    Actually, and I could be wrong about this, but DC Direct did do a 'deluxe' Power Girl doll.

    The deluxe dolls are about 12 inches and articulated a bit like Barbie (moving joints, etc.) So you could have Power Girl come by and save Barbie and or Ken from danger if you were so inclined. They're wicked pricey though.

     
  • At June 01, 2011 12:15 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Eh, I figure Barbie dolls already have inhuman proportions.

    Besides, I'd want to dress her in civilian clothes.

    Though seeing her tower over Ken WOULD be satisfying...

    I may have to consider this more.

     
  • At June 01, 2011 1:26 PM, Blogger Seth T. Hahne said…

    I think it's probably more a matter that nobody outside of the superhero-comics reading niche know who she is. I ran an informal poll a while back. The readily recognizable female heroes were Batgirl (often called Batwoman) and Supergirl (often called Superwoman). Wonder Woman came in third and there really weren't any other contenders. I think that maybe 5 or 6% recognized Black Canary (even if they couldn't name her). Some guessed Catwoman and Storm correctly. Not a single person polled had ever seen Power Girl.

    I'm guessing that's probably the biggest reason there's no Power Girl Barbie.

     
  • At June 01, 2011 5:16 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I've seen the DC Direct Power Girl figure...and frankly, she is awesome. As a Barbie, she would have those tiny little feet and those tiny little hands, which would be a bit incongruous.

     
  • At June 02, 2011 3:13 PM, Anonymous D said…

    Actually, the DC Direct figures have removable clothing (or at least the clothes are cloth so you could cut them off), so dressing them up is doable.

    There are actually a doll stores online that sell 12 inch clothes, so you could have Power Girl rocking a leather jacket and jeans if you were so inclined.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home