Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, May 07, 2011

Thor! A minimal spoiler review.

So for the first time in ages, I was actually able to catch a movie the first weekend it's out! Yay, me!

So anyway, out of deference to this rare timeliness, I'll try not to spoil.

I liked the movie a lot! I will say though, that it felt more than a little disjointed. Especially since the parts on Asgard were a lot more interesting than the parts on Earth. It seemed like far more development and personality went into the Asgardians than the humans, and as much as I like Natalie Portman, I didn't really buy the sudden love story parts.

I really liked the acting. The portrayals of Thor and Loki were the high points of the movie for me. (I was still a bit shaky at the end to exactly how Loki's motivation worked, but I thought the actor totally sold it. It was interesting that he went with a more somber approach than I would have expected for the god of mischief.)

The special effects ranged from awesome to occasionally goofy. I really liked the Asgard stuff, especially the bifrost bridge. Also, Jotunheim looked awesome.

I also liked that they didn't go overboard with the Shakespearian speech. I like it in the comics, but I have my doubts that it'd really work in a movie. (At least not a movie that doesn't involve actual Shakespearian dialogue). They found a good balance for the movie that sounded formal/maybe a little archaic but not so much that it's more distracting than appropriate.

Also, the fight scenes were great. So I liked it! :-)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home