Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, May 23, 2011

Yet Another Awesome Thing

So, I finally got myself Netflix (I am DETERMINED to get my money's worth with this X-Box thing. :-P) and ended up finally watching the first episode of the BBC Sherlock series.

It's pretty awesome actually.

I actually like this version of Sherlock a lot more than RDJ's version. Nothing against RDJ, but I think his innate charm works against him. As obnoxious as his Holmes was, he was likeable in spite of himself.

This Holmes is a total asshole. And it's awesome. I totally get why only Lestrade and Ms. Hudson can tolerate him pre-Watson. I like how they incorporate the tech/modern setting, but keep the important bits. Even the music!

Really though, the core of any Holmes adaptation for me is Watson. I loved the Guy Ritchie movie even with all its flaws, because RDJ was great and because Jude Law's Watson actually got to be a smart, competent, badass. He's not brilliant like Holmes, sure, but then who is? That doesn't make the character an idiot.

This Watson is adorable. And still badass. And I particularly like how he humanizes Holmes. There's a bit in the first episode where Holmes is going on about what a woman was trying to say as she died (trying not to spoil) and he asks Watson to imagine what he'd say as he was dying. And Watson is all "I don't have to imagine" and it actually makes Holmes pause for a bit. And it's great. I always love those moments, when academic knowledge gets a brief slap in the face by real experience. It doesn't need to happen OFTEN, and to be honest it really shouldn't, since we ARE talking Sherlock Holmes here. But just a little is like sprinkles on icecream. <3

So yeah, I'm trying to space out the next two episodes, as that's all there is (so far, I hope), but I'm enjoying the series!

5 Comments:

  • At May 24, 2011 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOVED Sherlock. Just adored it. Could watch it once a week, every week, and be happy.

     
  • At May 24, 2011 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Skip the second episode, it's really, really shit. And really, really racist.

     
  • At May 24, 2011 8:15 PM, Blogger ShellyS said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At May 24, 2011 8:16 PM, Blogger ShellyS said…

    I loved it. It'll be back. They just have to work around Martin Freeman's schedule since he's in The Hobbit.

     
  • At May 28, 2011 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey,
    I wanted to thank you for the Sherlock recommendation. I would have totally missed this show if I hadn't been reading your blog. I loved it and I am eagerly awaiting season 2.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home