Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Damn You Burt Ward! (not really)

So it's official. I went through back issues and everything and I officially do not hate Dick Grayson anymore.

I'm even actually finding the waves of melodramatic angst kind of...endearing?

It's possibly because I keep hearing all of his dialogue in Burt Ward's voice (I will stop watching this show eventually! Honestly!) and Burt Ward was adorable back then.

It's probably also Cyclops's fault. Back when I was only a DC girl, it was one thing, but after years of splitting my affection between DC and Marvel and my utter joy at Cyclops's wangsty teenaged monologues, well... apparently I've developed a taste for seeing uptight pretty boys whine.

Actually, if you want a real embarrassing admission, I think he might be my favorite of the bat clan*. Because he's ridiculous, and wears stupid clothes, and spends way too much time angsting about not being Batman, failing Batman, not being a good Batman, and so on...

(* At least until I change my mind again. But I always did like the ones that I can mock. :-P)

Also, he spent a period of time dressed in a blue and yellow Elvis costume and actually thought that looked okay. None of these are news to me, but apparently the reasons I've always hated him as a character are the reasons I kind of love him now. And possibly always have.

God damnit, self-awareness sucks.

7 Comments:

  • At June 29, 2011 9:42 AM, Blogger Jeff said…

    Nightwing, and later Dick Grayson Batman, are basically "the smiling Batman." He does the same stuff in the same places but instead of the sort of forced grim 'n gritty you get from DC editorial on Bats, you get a guy who really thinks that the fight is important, but that doesn't mean that it can't be fun too... or maybe I just think about this stuff too much

     
  • At June 29, 2011 1:23 PM, Blogger Diabolu Frank said…

    What he said, except when he's being Cyclops on a super-team, which began in the Marv Wolfman days. It's why I always found the Nightwing hate here strange. I thought it maybe came down to the duality of being uptight and guilt-ridden only half the time.

     
  • At June 29, 2011 1:31 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Expecting consistency? From me?

    Perish the thought!

     
  • At June 29, 2011 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "I always did like the ones that I can mock."

    You must LOOOOOOVE Hal Jordan.

     
  • At June 29, 2011 3:31 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I DO. I just love Guy best. :-)

    (Also Wesley Dodds, who I've made fun of a LOT on this blog. :-P)

     
  • At June 29, 2011 7:24 PM, Blogger Teresa said…

    He is the sensitive Bat of the Batman Family....

    ....And he is very limber. That's enough for this girl to love. (-;

     
  • At June 30, 2011 3:48 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I have to admit to having a tiny tiny crush on Burt Ward back in the old old days. Give me a break, I was a kid!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home