Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, June 06, 2011

More reactions to spoilers!

Aw I've got mixed feelings about this one..

On one hand, I'm happy to see Bruce Wayne back where he belongs. Because really, it's only right. But I'm going to miss actually liking Dick Grayson. Batman!Dick Grayson is the only version of the character I've actually been able to stand. And I'm especially going to miss Damian and Dick together. I don't think Bruce and Damian will vibe nearly as well, mostly because I can't see Bruce putting up with Damian's attitude, and that makes me sad.

I think in my ideal DCU, someone else takes over Robin (I have no idea who at this point. I kind of think Tim's moved past it, and certainly he doesn't need to be co-headlining, considering he starred in a Batman-less Robin comic for like fifteen years. Maybe Steph? She might be free now?) and Damian goes off to sidekick for Nightwing as "Blue jay" or something slightly less stupid sounding.

Tangentially, I'm a tad disappointed that Barbara is going to be Batgirl again. It's the name. I know she originated it, but to me "Batgirl" always implies a subordinance to Batman. And much as I legit love Kate Kane, I don't like that "Batwoman" sounds like it outranks "Batgirl." It's irrational but there you go.

That said, I'm holding off judgment, because I'm sure I'll enjoy Barbara as a more field-active superhero again, and I've liked heroes with stupider names that I've gotten past (ahh, little Sandy Hawkins, I love you).

So mostly, I'm interested in seeing what's going on, but like any fan, I'm also whining about what I'll miss. The usual. :-)

(However, all the Green Lantern stuff sounds awesome, so there ya go. :-P)

4 Comments:

  • At June 07, 2011 6:47 AM, Blogger Seangreyson said…

    Maybe I'm the exception but I started getting the Batgirl series for Stephanie. I love Barbara Gordon, but she's too good for the job now. Unless this reset is going to roll her back to a year one type character (which none of us wants to see). I liked the idea of Batgirl as a teen superhero who doesn't have a ton of experience and is figuring it all out.

    Plus I liked that she fit in with the "new" era heroes like Red Robin, Supergirl, Wondergirl, etc. Barbara Gordon would be like their Mom, rather than a partner.

     
  • At June 07, 2011 4:16 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Heh. The Green Lantern stuff does indeed sound awesome.

    I...guess that it's ok that Bruce is back as Bats, but I surely did like Dick and Damian together. I think that Damian is going to miss Dick's patience and sense of humor. Something that Bruce seems to be lacking.

    On the other hand, we are going to be having Bruce back in the new version of the JLI...teamed up with Booster and Guy and Fire and Ice, and I am SO looking forward to it.

     
  • At June 08, 2011 4:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rolling back Barbara but none of the rest of the Bat-clan is, to me, the worst of all worlds. Making Dick Robin again, much as it would upset decades of continuity, would make the Bat-clan more accessible to new readers who don't know or care who the many, many Robins have been, and I can see that as a desirable thing. But if you're not going to take that gamble, then Barbara deserves the growth and development and credibility her legend has built up since she became Oracle.

    I'll give Gail Simone a chance, since she's not led me wrong yet, but this feels like a slow train wreck to me.

    – Jack of Spades

     
  • At June 08, 2011 2:33 PM, Blogger ShellyS said…

    Barbara Gordon was not the first Batgirl, nor was she the first Batgirl I read. That was Betty Kane. When Babs came along and became Batgirl, I needed to be won over and I was because she was a librarian and that was pretty cool. But with all the Batgirls there have been, so really has no more claim to the name as any of the others, and I think Steph is my favorite Batgirl of the bunch. But Oracle was Babs and only ever was Babs and that unique identity has been torn from her and I think that's a step backward.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home