Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Y'Know, Heart Didn't Actually Suck...

Okay, so, for reasons I don't really want to go into, recently I found myself watching Captain Planet episodes. Well. One. Still. But I realized two things:

1. The kids were much more effective with their powers separately than Captain Planet was. Especially given that a teaspoon of toxic waste could send the guy into a coma. I always wondered why they didn't just borrow from Professor Xavier's book and train to be ring bearing X-Men.

2. Heart actually didn't suck as a power. I mean, granted, the NAME is awful. But heart pretty much encompassed everything from animal control to telepathy. He was their one man communication system, and while he lacked the destructive powers of the other, he could totally encourage a nice stampede. Need to calm down a crowd? He could do that too. The other guys were one-trick wonders, but he had like four different powers easy under his umbrella.

And actually, it's funny, but it's the one power you never really tend to see Captain Planet use that often. (Granted, perhaps it's just the episode I saw.) That's how you know it's good. Because he's an awful hero. :-P

But it really made me feel sorry for that poor South American kid. Tons of bad press just because his power has a stupid name. :-(

4 Comments:

  • At June 02, 2011 2:45 PM, Blogger D4 said…

    Yeah, heart definitely qualifies as an impressive power. (See TVTropes, Heart Is An Awesome Power, or Linkara's Captain Planet review.

     
  • At June 06, 2011 4:36 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    I always never understood ppl mocking Heart :( Heart was AWESOME! Esp since it was shown in that one episode that Heart is basically what Captain Planet needs to be him. Heart and Earth to give him form xD (the episode where the other 3 are missing and Ma Ti and Kwame form Mr. Planet basically xD )

    And yeah, I always wondered why they formed Captain Planet when they seemed better off w/o him... he's like Superman, huge powers, but also huge crippling weaknesses :|

    I always wanted to be Linka as a child btw >_> (surprise surprise!) and Wheeler pissed me off >_> I think I always just thought Linka and Gi should go off together xD

     
  • At June 07, 2011 12:19 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Heh, Wheeler pissed me off as a kid, but as an adult, I find him a lot more sympathetic.

    I mean, the poor kid NEVER got to be right. Ever. And the thing is, while I definitely think American privilege needs calling out, I don't think the best strawman for it is a homeless Chicago street kid. (If I remember the pilot correctly.)

     
  • At June 07, 2011 3:18 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    Oh that wasn't the reason I disliked Wheeler! xD I disliked him b/c everybody else I knew as a kid thought it was "natural" for Wheeler to be paired up w/ Linka cuz they're both white -_-;;;

     

Post a Comment

<< Home