Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Schism-babbling

It's looking like my prediction is wrong again! (Which makes me happy, since Cyclops is my favorite after all).

I FINALLY caught up to Schism and they're FINALLY putting in seeds of conflict.

And actually, it's the perfect conflict. I always had problems with the idea that Scott somehow crosses a line and makes Wolverine turn on him, because, well, we already had the X-Force thing and Wolverine was involved with that.

But it looks like the conflict (for now) is more about the way Scott used the mutant girl who's name I can't remember, and that actually makes sense to me. Wolverine has always been protective of the kids, to an occasionally hypocritical level (see firing X-23 from X-Force) so it makes sense that this sort of thing would set him off.

At the same time, Scott's not being unreasonable either. He didn't just arbitrarily decide to use the girl like that, there had been no one else. (I particularly liked his whole "You're right. She shouldn't have had to do that. You should have, but you weren't there" bit.) And well, considering his own upbringing, it makes sense that Cyclops is a little shaky on the whole deal. You can't really expect a child soldier to understand the problem with...well...using child soldiers. It's something that Xavier probably should have helped the poor kid with, or got him therapy abou, but he was too busy having his teenaged strike force fight Magneto in the Savage Land. (I actually DO like Xavier as a character, btw. I'm just aghast that the man was ever allowed near children.)

I think there'll have to be something bigger to actually justify a full schism, but now that they've fleshed out one particular conflict, I'm a little more confident that they'll be able to end it without killing off my favorite character.

Now that I've said that, he totally will die. :-P

2 Comments:

  • At August 24, 2011 11:31 PM, Blogger Seangreyson said…

    It may just be the meta element of it all, but the two promo covers of the series that come out of Schism have Logan leading one team, and Emma leading the other. And none of the unidentified shadows really jump out at me as Cyclops.

    I'm still a little worried that he's going to die.

    But I think you're right that they've at least set up the conflict that the Schism is going to be about. (Think of the children...)

     
  • At August 25, 2011 2:23 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Well, if he does, he'll be back.

    And there are other ways to take him out of commission. Maybe he quits? Or turns himself in or something

     

Post a Comment

<< Home